Dec 8, 2008

My adventure to downtown Phoenix

Well, I feel quite accomplished today. I did many things I have never done-- "appear" for jury duty, ride the city bus, and go to downtown Phoenix by myself!! Here's the story:

I was scheduled for jury duty in downtown Phoenix this morning and was to "appear" at 8 AM. Downtown is at least an hour from our house in rush hour and we have only the van since Paul has his motorcycle now, so I opted to ride the commuter bus. Paul dropped me off at the park and ride at 6:40 (a nice friend from church rides that bus and helped me out!). I arrived a few blocks from the courthouse at 7:45. So far so good. At 8:00 I "appeared" and was sent through security. At 8:20 I was told to go home and come back tomorrow.

I decided to take the bus back home (well close to it). I walked 4 more blocks to Central Station in my high heels and leather coat and asked the nice lady behind the counter what route would be best to get back home. She told me to go across the street and get on the 0 bus. Well, I walked outside and crossed the street about 3 times before a policeman took pity on me and told me which street to cross and which side of the street to be on. While at that station I learned all about how "China and the commies are really in control of the US because they own the oil and the drugs (which are needed to make medicine) and don't think I'm lying to you." I then got on and rode that bus for about 1/2 hour until I got to where i was to transfer. Okay, so I get off the bus and there are 3 stops to choose from and none are labeled.

I finally figure out which stop to go to and wait for half an hour for my next bus. The stop is on Central and Southern, not the safest looking corner of Phoenix. In the meantime I learned all about how terrible the police are for making my new friend "who doesn't look 75 does she?" leave her home on a Sunday and how she is okay now because she has a tent to sleep in behind the movie theater. But, she is going to Bank of America today because they have all of her money and won't give it to her. She misses Boston and has lived here for 20 years and has taught English to "lots of Mexican broads".

The bus finally arrives and I am grateful to be on the right one going to right direction. I am the only white person on the bus for about 20 minutes; remember I'm wearing heels and have my leather coat on...way over dressed for the bus!! anyhow, about an hour later I reach my destination. The best part is I am on call this week for court so I get to go again tomorrow. I really pray that I get selected and can take the commuter bus back home!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, that took me back to our college days---doing street witnessing in downtown Minneapolis. I'm so not nearly that brave now---I commend you on your adventure. I hope you get selected for jury diuty too---for the other bus. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you made some cool new friends. =)The first time I rode the bus and did the downtown Phoenix, jury duty adventure was when I was 18. My dad helped me figure out which bus to get on and then an older lady I met while waiting for hours to be called and scrutinized, rode the bus back with me because she lived in downtown Chandler too. What are the odds? I think God knew I needed someone because I was completely naive. No, I wasn't selected. When I was 18 I look about 14 so they probably figured I didn't belong there.

    ReplyDelete